Monday, August 24, 2009

Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce, Asparagus and Peas

I haven’t blogged in a real long time and I have my reasons for going under the radar. After a beautiful paper anniversary vacation, wisdom teeth extraction and a painfully long recovery, festive occasions and lot more, I’m back!
I did make a few dishes while in blog-absence, which I wanted to write about, clicked pictures too. Then I generally got busy with various things.

Last week, I had some leftover groceries that needed to be finished before expiry. S bought a carton of heavy cream for a cocktail party (yes, he is now into making cocktails and is pretty good at it too), there were some lemons that needed to be used up, some leftover vegetable broth, and there was a whole lot of asparagus. So, I surfed the Internet for a nice pasta recipe and what I found made me glad – Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce, Asparagus and Peas. I have two Italian cookbooks that are pretty great, I never miss an episode of Giada at Home and Everyday Italian by Giada DeLaurentiis, two very good Italian cookery shows on Food Network. Yet I chose this recipe over the rest - Giada freaks out on Pancetta and that is something that will never find its way into my pantry. I undoubtedly chose this recipe because almost all of the ingredients required were the leftovers in my fridge I was waiting to finish quickly before expiry! And the dish was really good too.

I modified the recipe just a little bit here and there – I used normal spaghetti, a handful of peas, 2 garlic cloves minced, a heaping teaspoon of cornstarch, and finally some dried basil along with pepper. I also added extra virgin olive oil up front before the butter. This helps the butter and the oil from scorching, and also helps keep the garlic from burning. Plus, EVOO can only make Italian dishes better – what say?



We roasted some asparagus tossed in EVOO, black pepper, salt, crushed red chili flakes, and Cajun seasoning. We ate the pasta with garlic bread, oven roasted asparagus, and a wonderful goblet of fine Italian Riserva wine.


Of course, the one thing I picked from Giada was the Parmesan - it always gives the final kick to any Italian dish. I topped up our pasta with grated cheese ;)

3 comments:

  1. Super Presentation... Just yesterday I was about to give my mom a major lecture on how properly presented food makes for a more delectable food experience. ;-p

    Superbly presented food. No way you made this from any leftover food. Make plans for RumsNSubz Bistro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you missed all the other pictures :( I accidentally deleted the album from picasa. Now, IF and WHEN i find the time, I have to upload them all back - highly unlikely in the near future :P

    Plus, I really picked this recipe because it helped me finish my leftover groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and btw, we already have a BISTRO sign up our kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete