Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rava Upma



Although upma is the easiest dish anyone can prepare...its also the most difficult to get the right consistency. Usually the upma I made before marriage used to end up into a chewy guey sitation....and many times Ive also made Upma without uppu (salt). After marriage my MIl taught me her version of Rava Upma....infact my husband used to call the "sponge upma". Infact I did not believe in the name he gave until I got to taste it mysel...indedd sponge upma....and it was so light. So here's the recipe for the Rava Upma/ Sponge Upma.


Ingredients:

1 cup Rava

2 cups water

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon oil

few curry leaves

few mustard seeds, chana dal and 2 dry red chillies

1 green chilly (chopped)

1/4 " ginger (chopped)

corrainder leaves (chopped)

1 lemon (juice extracted)

1 teaspoon ghee

Method:

1. Heat a pain with oil.

2. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, dry red chillies, green chillies, ginger and curry leaves.

3. Once they splutter add the 2 cups of water and salt. Bring it to boil.

4. Slowly add the rava and keep mixing.

5. Cover the Pan with a lid and keep stirring every 3 minutes.

6. Once they are done, add ghee and let it cool for few minutes.

7. Add the lemon juice and mix it well.

8. Garnish with fresh corriander leaves.



Note: The most important thing is the rava and water ratio. It has to be 1:2 ratio. So you can calculate accordingly. I made plain rava upma. You can follow the same procedure by adding veggies. The veggies will have to be sauted after step 2 and then go to step 3.

5 comments:

  1. I don't remember when I started making Upma, but I think my chunky gooey days were just during the beginning, lol. Roasting always helps, even if it is already roasted rava. I sometimes use one cup of milk and one cup of water, or one and a half cup of water and half a cup of buttermilk. Off late, I have been trying Sangee's method, trust me - it is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But of course, I boil just 2 cups, not 3 as she has mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, there's the maharashtrian version called the uppeett, sev uppeett to be precise. is that made differently? i like that version better then the southie one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, now suppose i want to try out one of your recipes in the kitchen, i have to shift my desktop next to the stove, or the laptop or get a print. easier to take a cook book na? guess u need to scout around for a publisher...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know which one you're talking about. Saboodana kichdi is more famous is Maharashtra, is that the one? We love that too! It's been a while since I made it... Otherwise, I assume the Upma is made just the same way with more vegetables.

    Now, now, cook book - aren't we rushing there, lol.

    ReplyDelete