Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Steamed Eggplants / Brinjals

Posting from Rums:
After my cousin's post on Baingan Bhaja, eggplants have featured in no other way in our kitchen. S and I both love that Bengali dish so much so that every time go vegetable shopping, we intentionally pick a luscious, delicious looking deep purple eggplant just to make that dish.

When S was on the phone with my cousin the other day, he jokingly teased her that she was the reason we were eating no other form of big eggplant. Yet again, I had bought one during our last visit to Walmart and this time, I decided to ask my cousin for a different recipe. This one also belongs to the Bengali cuisine, but this time, it is a little closer to a recipe from homeland - mustard, coconut, green chili paste - needless to say, Palakkad style vendekkai pachadi!

We're in the process of moving to a new apartment in the next few days, so having done away with most crucial groceries, I replaced the green chili with dry red chilis. The dish has turned out delicious. The next time though, I would reduce the quantity of water as my version has turned out a little gravyish - no regrets whatsoever - it's still delicious. I steamed the dish in a pressure cooker. In my opinion, you really don't need to add as much as 1 cup of water because any vegetable steams in minimal water when pressure cooked. S and I are going to gorge on this steamed eggplant with dhaal and rice - slurp!


Ingredients:
1 cup fresh desiccated coconut
1 1/2 tablespoon cleaned and soaked mustard seeds
6-8 small eggplant or 1 medium sized brinjal
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2-3 green chilies
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste


Method:
Cut the eggplant in 1 inch cubes and soak them in salt water for 1/2 hour.

Grind the coconut, mustard seeds and green chilies together into a fine paste.

When the paste is ready, take the eggplant out of the salt water.

In a deep aluminum bowl, mix the eggplant, the coconut mustard paste, the oil, salt, turmeric powder, and 1 cup of water.

Cover and steam in a pressure cooker for 1/2 an hour or until the eggplant is cooked properly.

You can also bake it in the oven at 350 degree for 45 minutes.



This dish shouldn't be very dry, it should saucy. To garnish this dish, heat a little mustard oil (optional) or any regular oil that you use and some mustard seed and green chillies. Also top it with corriander leaves. You can serve this dish with rice.

3 comments:

  1. that looks so yummmy. it's lunch time here and our order hasn't yet arrived. : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rums I made this at home today and it was so yummmmmm!! I would suggest that while making the paste we can use lil water and just mix with the brinjal. This way we dont have to add more water. Usually this dish is a nice gravy dish eaten with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's how I had it. Was yum! But S likes the Bhaja better, lol

    ReplyDelete