Here’s what I needed:
1. Eggplants – 2, sliced lengthwise
2. Ricotta cheese (light/fat free) – 1 heaping dinner tablespoon per slice
3. Fresh Jalapeno Pepper – 2 chopped finely
4. Garlic Salt, Italian Seasoning, Dried Basil
5. Fresh Chopped Parsley
6. Grated Parmesan and Mozzarella Cheese (Skimmed)
7. Salt, Fresh ground pepper, Pam Oil Spray
8. Marinara sauce/Pasta sauce/Pizza sauce – I used Marinara sauce with Parmesan Romano and Roasted Garlic
Here’s how I rolled them up:
1. In a small bowl, mix in the ricotta cheese, chopped pepper, garlic salt and Italian seasonings, basil, and fresh parsley.
2. Ideally, it is advised to generously salt the eggplant slices and weigh them down in a heavy colander till the eggplant sweats out. Then they are rinsed so the salt is removed and patted dry. I skipped this step due to time constraints and luckily, my eggplants didn’t consume way too much oil while grilling.
3. Grill the eggplant slices with some till they are well cooked and browned.
4. Place a generous tablespoon full of ricotta filling in the wide end of an eggplant slice and roll it up.
5. Arrange the rolls in an oven-proof baking dish and spoon over Marinara sauce.
6. Top up with shredded parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degree F till the cheese melts.
8. Top up with Italian seasonings and chopped parsley.
9. Serve with garlic bread or pasta salads.
Though this ain’t the actual Eggplant Parmesan/Marinara, it tastes just as great and makes you feel better because you’ve totally skipped the deep-frying and flour bit. And as always, the lion's share went to S :)