Monday, February 9, 2009

Dhokla - Perfect Gujrati Snack


For a very long time I used to order Dhokla's whenever I got a chance to go to a Chat corner. I had tried my very best to make dhokla at home but could never get it the way my Gujju frnds get it nor what I ate from the chat shops. Then finally I found this recipe in Tarla Dalal's website for making instant dhokla. The Recipe was simple and indeed instant. Infact during all my previous attempts to make dhokla, I was told to make the batter and leave for 5 hours or more. I have tried this recipe myself and added few ingredients to cater to my taste. Beleive me, you can make this tasty snack in just half hour.


Ingredients (Serves 3)

  • 2 cup Besan (gram flour)
  • 2 cup Water
  • 4 tbsp Lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp Oil
  • 2 tsp Eno Fruit salt
  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 2 tbsp Sugar (plus 2tsp for batter)
  • 1/3 tsp Red chili powder
  • 4 Green Chillies
  • Curry leaves
  • Salt
  • Corriander leaves
  • Fresh grated coconut

Method

  • Mix together besan, salt, 2 tbsp oil, 2 tbsp lemonjuice, red chili powder, 4 green chillies crushed, sugar and water 1 cup or little less than that. The batter should not be loose, if so add little besan...should be kind of like idli batter
  • Heat up the pressure cooker with some water to steam the Dhokla.
  • Grease a vessel (You can use the cooker vessel). Now add Eno and mix well and pour this mixture right away in the greased vessel.
  • Steam it for 20 minutes. To check if its done, insert a toothpick or knife and if it comes out clean its done
  • For tarka, heat remaining oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves. Mix together remaining 1 cup water, sugar and lemon juice and pour into the tarka. Boil it.
  • Take out the dhokla and cut into your choice of size and shape.
  • Pour the tarka mixture over it.
  • Garnish with corriander leaves and fresh grated coconut. Serve the fluffiest Dhokla with corriander chutney and tamarind chutney.

5 comments:

  1. True, this is the exact same way I do it. But I just dissolve the sugar in lemon juice, I don't mix water. And I sprinkle this on the dhoklas after cutting out the slices. After it absorbs, the dhokla stays moist, and has that tangy-sweet flavour too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but if you add water to the tadka and then add to the cut dhoklas, the dhokla will absorb the water and becomes even more fluffier and even in the size of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh really? Didn't know dee. I always use fresh lemon juice, that comes to about a quarter cup, and that makes it perfectly moist. And the dhoklas fluff up pretty well with eno. Will try this next time, though I may reduce the water quantity by a bit and compensate with lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes try it. and experiments to each dish makes the difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely, actually I think I added somewhere around 1/4 cup water with one whole lemon's juice and sugar... this is the measure I used for 2 cups besan I think. That itself was too much, and I thought it would get soggy. But it turned out good. I got the instant dhokla recipe from another blog and noted it down. In fact, one of S's colleague's wife made Dhokla (they are gujjus) and it wasn't as good as this. It was dry.

    ReplyDelete