Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Choliya/ Green Bengal Lentils Curry

One more Bengali dish from my end. I've spent most of my childhood days at my friend's place.......obviously all of them were bengalis :) and that's the reason for me knowing so many from their cuisine. You can eat this curry with anything you want. In India you get the fresh green Bengal peas during summer. I still remember I used to spend hours removing the peas from the so called bunch. You can actually eat it fresh, make salads, masala chana chat or even the curry out of this. Here in the US the fresh ones are way too expensive so I buy the frozen ones.

Ingredients: (serves 2)

1 packet of frozen Choliya/ Green Bengal Lentils
1 Onion
1 Tomato
1 Green Chilly
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon red chilly powder
1/4 teaspoon kitchen king Masala
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
salt
1/2 teaspoon ghee
oil

Method:

Defrost the lentils in the microwave or just run through water and keep aside. Heat the pan with oil and ghee and add the green chilly and onions and saute them. Add the tomatoes and all the spices. Cover the pan and cook the gravy. Once it reaches your consistency add the lentils and salt. Cook till the lentils absorb the flavour of the spices. Serve it with your choice of bread or just dal and rice.

7 comments:

  1. I have cooked this, but not with the frozen green chickpeas. We get the hara-channa packets that you have to soak and pressure cook just like normal channa.I make it with that. Kitchen king rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes but the dry soaked overnight and pressure cooked gives a different taste. The exact taste of this curry comes from the fresh ones and next one is the frozen. Try out with the frozen next time and you will know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will try and see if I can get it. Haven't seen frozen chickpeas here so far. Fresh is the best of course. I bought the hard ones to make chaats now and then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying this receipe today. So far so good. looks like it is turning out good. I am using Dry red chillies in place of green as I did not have one
    VK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks VK. It will taste good with dry red chillies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I tried to look for Bengal lentil recepie but yours was the only one which made sense.The only modification I was added salt,tumeric and lemon juice to the frozen lentils and cooked in the microwave for 4 min.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be cool if you could revise the recipe to say how long to cook the lentils. We've never used these lentils before, so it's a really new experience for us! It's turning out cool, but the lentils are still pretty hard!

    Also, how much oil and salt as a guide do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete