Monday, January 26, 2009

Vengaya Chutney

I know everyone likes to eat idly or dosa with normal thengai or kadala paruppu chutney. I usually like to eat it with Vengaya chutney (Onion Chutney) so I thought I will add that recipe too.

Ingredients: ( serves 2 )

1 Big Onion (do not use the white onions)
1/2 tomato cut into small pieces (optional)
2 dry red chillies
curry leaves
corriander/ cilantro leaves
jeera seeds
1 teaspoon oil

Method:

Cut the onions into long pieces. Heat the pan and add oil. Put the jeera seeds and let it splutter. Add dry red chillies, curry leaves and onions. Let the onions fry till the raw smell goes away. Do not cook on high flame or burn the onions. Add the tomatoes. Let the ingredients cool and then blend it by adding salt and corriander leaves.

Many people like to eat it after blending but I prefer to saute the chutney in the pan with little oil again. Now serve it hot or cold with Dosas and Idlys.

3 comments:

  1. I do the same, just that after blending I do the tadka sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can try the same receipe with just the onion alone and for ''pulipu'' just add very small piece of tamarind. In my younger days my mom used to make thogayal(they callit that) like this and it wl taste heavenly esp since my mom will use the ''sambar vengayam''. I will give the pudina,coriander,vengayam takkali chutney here later:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using shallots for any onion paste changes the flavour by 1000000 times. sadly, they're expensive here. Such a tiny onion is trapped with so muchflavour. My friends use it for biryani.

    ReplyDelete