Saturday, January 24, 2009

Iyengar Venthiya Kozhambu

At my place, on any day if I just ask which kozhambu to make........my husband would just yell out "Plsssssssss make Venthiya Kozhambu". It's another of his favorite from the Iyengar Dish list. When I got married, I only knew how to make vetha kuzhambu but not Venthiya Kuzhambu. I learnt it from my mother-in-law so that I can make it for A. All you guys should just try it once.........its way diff in taste and prep than vetha kuzhambu.

Ingredients:

Toor Dal- 3 tablespoons

Chana Dal - 1 1/2 tablespoons

Red Chillies - 3

Venthiyam - 1/2 teaspoon

Curry Leaves

Tamarind soaked in hot water

LG Peringayam/ Aesofotida salt sesame oil mustard seeds turmeric powder rice flour to thicken if needed Method:

Heat sesame oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, toor dal, chana dal, turmeric powder, venthiyam.
Roast a little bit and pour it into a vessel add 1 1/2 cup water and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles. Meanwhile pour the tamarind extract into a vessel add water and heat on stove. add Aesofotida and salt. Add the dal water into the vessel and later mash the dal and also pour that in. Add 2 more cups of water and let it boil till the raw smell goes. Add Curry leaves. If the kuzhambu seems watery, then make a paste with the rice flour and mix it in. Venthiya Kuzhambu is ready which can be served with steamed rice and any vegetable of your choice. I served them today with Carrot Karamadhu :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, I have to try this sometime. I usually always add a pinch of venthiyam in my Sambars and Vatha Kozhambus :)

    ReplyDelete